Thursday, October 1, 2009

Start of fall

I've been reading friends' knitting blogs for a fairly long time now, and I decided it's time for me to get one of my own. I'm going to use it for all things that I make, so it will be a lovely combination of knitting, baking, and cooking. I'm sure bits of my life story will make their way in here as well.

I made a squash soup on Tuesday that is so amazingly delicious- flavorful with herbs and spices and not sweet the way so many squash and pumpkin soups are. Becky and I both made it as a remote cook-a-long, her in Chicago and me here in Madison (we're adorable like that) and we both loved it. The recipe can be found at Smitten Kitchen. This is one of my favorite blogs, and her recipes have never failed me. Normally, I plan on posting recipes myself, but since I followed this one to the letter (sans the croutons and with vegetable broth instead of chicken), I'm just linking it. I think next time I'll bump up the cumin and sage a tad.

Peeling and cubing those squash was quite the job. Next time, I will probably just halve and roast them per the suggestion in the recipe, but I wanted to give the hard way a shot. And I have to say, it was worth it.
Bonus: rinse squash seeds and roast at 275 degrees with a little oil and salt for 15-18 minutes, until dried and crispy. Devour in a matter of minutes with roommates.

No comments:

Post a Comment